Monday, May 17, 2010

Pan Asian 2010 Tournament Rundown

Here is the tournament rundown as best I can remember sorry if i get anything wrong or have mislabeled any of the videos.

The tournament took place at the SM Mall of Asian, apparently the third biggest mall in the world. The first day it was held out doors in a covered area but was hot with direct sunlight on the mats (but not all the time, just when you were competing so it could shine directly into your eyes, haha). By the end of the first day we were all exhausted and dehydrated. Many of us had to wait around 7 hours for our first match. Unfortunately, because we were not allowed to weigh in until right before our first match, those that were close to weight had a particularly difficult time. I believe the final match ended at around 8:30pm or so.

On the second day, the no-gi event was held inside the mall but it was still extremely hot with direct sunlight on the mats. This was because the mats were located beneath a glass roof and the sun was directly overhead shining through the glass (but still VERY hot) onto the mat area. This made the situation very uncomfortable and had many wishing we were back outside instead, lol.

There were 250-275 competitors the first day and the second about half of that. There were also hundreds of public spectators watching out of interest. The Philippine people really do love martial arts competitions and having the support from the crowd made one feel like they were in an even bigger event. Big props to the locals. They even had a children's and adolescent category in the competition, lets get jack, anthony and yoyo ready for the next one!. The competition was well prepared in some areas but in other areas there is a lot of room to grow. The waiting time for our first match on the first day was probably the biggest issue that needs to be addressed in the future. Being out in the heat for seven hours waiting for your first match was really de-motivating for many people. Many of us really had a hard time getting our heads into the game for the first match. Nonetheless, the competition staff worked hard, were very friendly, and did their best to accommodate any problems the fighters had.

Kowloon BJJ did make an impact, infact I had guys coming and asking me where Sebastien was, he competed last year in October in phillipines. Congratulations to all who competed and special thanks to Fion, Matt's girlfriend for taking video and watching our bags! All in all it was a good weekend with excitement and drama but most of all great fun. I encourage all Kowloon BJJ members to start preparing for the next one. Let's go and have fun together!

Individual Results:

Forrest -> had 6 matches lost in the first round in weight category but came back to tear through and win the absolute. He sustained a bruised and cut eye and lip through five fights for the Gold. He scared his opponents and no one showed up in his weight class the second day

Absolute Final com/watch? v=2jz1LuWgfi4&feature=player_ embedded
Semi-Final com/watch? v=5Jp3L9FTWRs
Quarter-Final com/watch? v=gdv0n53NGb com/watch? v=wPjhAg1YLOA com/watch? v=q5LfBEAXob0 com/watch? v=abagVEulaR0

Aki -> had two matches, lost to a very muscular judo girl who was much bigger than her but came back to win the Absolute, she didnt fight the second day com/watch? v=ybpAIdP9mBY com/watch? v=6EkvSMT6KAM

Hoin -> had four matches two against a bigger brown belt masquerading as a purple belt but fought proudly and with honor. He tapped out a guy from bangkok BJJ (Mark Simmerman). He fought taki on the second day. com/watch? v=utl_RWf- L2M

Leo -> had two matches and lost to bigger opponents, unfortunately there was no one his size to fight him but he fought hard as usual.

Taki -> had two matches, won first by advantage beating the same guy who beat forrest the day earlier then fought hoin. He almost tapped out to the local food via diarrhea submission. Taki only compete the second day he scared all the other competitors away the first day.

Matt Wise -> had 8 matches, He finished is first opponent in 57 seconds, choke from the back, watch out for this kid. Although he didnt get a medal he fought hard and did very well for his first tournament. com/watch? v=T2O7jcbaREk com/watch? v=XOeSp2g4UsY com/watch? v=QN5FR-bkaHs

Matthew -> Got two Bronze and a gold in no-gi medio-pessado. Matthew should have rightfully won his semi-final match by ankle-lock, but he was wrongly informed by another referree that the straight ankle-lock was allowed for the competition. However, the fighters were never directly told that during the referree and coaches meeting, all foot and leg locks were not allowed at bluebelt level. Nonetheless, the referree for Matthews match initially awarded Matthew the win, but due to protest from the losing competitor's team, the win was revoked and his opponent was awarded the win. This lead to a huge controversy in which the referrees were considering throwing out the entire absolute division leaving nobody with a medal. Eventually, it was decided that the ankle lock would be forgotten and the match would continue with 55 seconds left and the original points standing. Unfortunately, Matthew then lost by points and was left with third place. Just a big mess really with Matthew getting a bad deal.

But it must be said that despite the controversy above, the referring was some of the best, if not THE best I have seen in area so far. We were quite fortunate to have two bjj blackbelts in Steve and Anthony as referres as well as others that did a good job. Referring is a thankless job that always goes unappreciated when it shouldn't.

Uncle Ben-> although Ben is training at another gym at the moment he is still a quasi member. He showed up and fought and partied like only "Uncle Ben" can, seriously ask him about the midget boxing. For his warrior spirit, Ben received a first place medal in the gi master's division (over 35 years of age)

Finally, we would like to thank all the staff, organizers and fellow competitors of the competition. Thank you all for a great weekend and hope to see you again next year. OSU!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment